Thunder Games (small-sided games)
These are soccer games with fewer players competing on a smaller sized field. These are fun games that involve the players more because fewer players are sharing one ball.
1. Because we want our young soccer players to touch the soccer ball more often and become more skillful with it! (Individual technical development)
2. Because we want our young soccer players to make more, less-complicated decisions during the game! (Tactical development)
3. Because we want our young soccer players to be more physically efficient in the field space they are playing in! (Reduced field size)
5. Because we want our young soccer players to have more, involved playing time in the game! (More opportunity to solve problems that only the game presents)
6. Because we want our young soccer players to have more opportunity to play on both sides of the ball! (More exposure to attacking and defending situations)
7. Because we want our young soccer players to have more opportunities to score goals! (Pure excitement)
8. Because we want to include children of all temperaments, assertive to shy, to have more opportunities to interact with others and the game! (Socialization)
9. Because we want our young soccer players to have fun!
For each game- players are split into 3v3, 4v4, or 5v5 games on small fields. Teams are completely random and they change every 10 minutes during our hour and half time frame of Thunder Games. At the end of each game, a team captain reports their teams score to the coach. Each player on that team will all get the same amount of points for that particular game. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, and 0 points for a win. This is repeated throughout the night. The coach will add the individual players points up at the end to add to their total for the season. At the end of the season, the players with the most points (top 3 for boys, and top 3 for girls) will receive an academy gift card. There is very little coaching and the players are asked to referee their own games and play with good sportsmanship. The coaching staff will ensure the safety of the players and keep track of points.
Thunder Games schedules can be found on our home page.